Monday, June 4, 2012

Trust and Germs

This article was originally featured in the March 2011 MOPS of Indian Creek newsletter.





TRUST AND GERMS by Jenni B.


"This is a story of following God’s lead, loving a neighbor, and trusting God with everything.

I’ve been a self proclaimed “germ-a-phobe” for as long as I’ve been a mom; almost 10 years now.  I’ve managed to keep a nice germ-free bubble around my little family.  We (knock on wood) have gone thru the past two winter seasons without any sickness.  Some might say I’m a little extreme, but the thought of those little icky bugs invading my family or my home just gives me the heebie-jeebies!

My germ-phobia was challenged recently when I received a call from my neighbor/friend last Friday.

Her youngest (and 3rd) son had just been diagnosed with RSV and they were on their way to the hospital.  She asked me to pick up her oldest son from school when I went to pick up my own sons from the same school. 

I replied, ‘no problem,’ and also offered to watch her #2 son, who is 3 years old.  She replied that she was taking him to the hospital with her.

School was out a few hours later, and I picked up the boys.  I decided to get a couple pizzas for dinner (my hubby was working that evening so in case it was a late night I did not want to worry about fixing dinner).  While standing in line at Little Caesars, I felt God prompt me to pick up another pizza for my friend. 

We weren't back at my “germ free zone home,” more than 30 minutes before my friend’s husband arrived with #2 son.  He had come home to pick up some clothes for my friend’s overnight hospital stay.  He said they were famished so he was trying to hurry back to the hospital.  THANK YOU LORD!”, I thought, as I handed him the pizza. 

I offered again to watch #2 son while he went back to the hospital.  Without hesitation he accepted my offer. I was so very happy to help.

Then it hit me.  Hospital germs.  In my house.  From a 3 year old who, like other 3 year olds, likely got into everything at the hospital.  And now, before  I could bend down to take off his shoes, he  took off like lightening thru the house to my boys’ room to play. 

“Trust Me” , is all I could hear God whisper. 

During those hours I had the boys, after the kids shared drinks, popcorn, pizza, Wii remotes, beds,  pillows, and held hands, I realized that my friend’s boys had a cold.  This is likely what the youngest boy had caught, as they had a terrible, croupy sounding cough.    

“Trust Me!” 

Several hours later, my friend’s husband came home to pick up the boys.  Fortunately, their youngest son’s illness wasn’t too bad and was able to come home the following day.

During this time watching my friends’ kids, I learned that regardless of what fears, or weakness I have, it’s only there by my own choice. 

God’s Word says in 2 Timothy 1:7 (Amplified Version), “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.”

God does not give us a ’spirit of cringing and fawning fear’.  That night He gave me strength to not fear the little ‘icky hospital germs’ and just enjoy watching the kids play together. 

The next morning, God was with me when I Lysol-ed the house."   




No comments:

Post a Comment