Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review of The Salty Iguana





The coordinators have decided to start a new blog series.  We will be reviewing products, restaurants, books, movies, or anything else that strikes our fancy.  

This time we will be reviewing the restaurant The Salty Iguana.  They have locations in Overland Park, Olathe, Independence, Prairie Village, and Lawrence.  We visited the location in Olathe on Ridgeview Rd. For more information and to view the menu check out their website  here


Sarah’s Humble Opinion

Service:  Our waitress was polite, attentive, and personal.  The manager also checked on our table which is always a nice touch.
I noticed after looking at their website that Monday's special was hard shell tacos for $1.50 and house margaritas for $4. The waitress did not inform us of the daily special which would have been nice as I could have saved some dough.

Atmosphere:  It was a welcoming environment, parking was easy, and the decor was cute.

Cleanliness:  The tables and restaurant seemed clean but my visit to the bathroom was a little gross.

Food:  They brought us salsa and chips which were quite tasty.  We also had a coupon for a free Iguana Dip, which is a cheesy spinach dip.  I thought the dip was yummy and would order it again.  For my meal I ordered the Avocado Burrito.  My first impression was that it looked great but when I tasted it I found that it was a bit spicy but bland at the same time.  I felt my food was just okay.  It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great.  I wanted to like it a lot but I just didn’t.

Drink:  My margarita was delicious and I enjoyed it immensely.  It was definitely the highlight of my meal!

Price:  My meal and margarita were around $15 which is about average I suppose but since I didn’t love my meal, I felt it was a bit overpriced.

Overall:  I felt the food was mediocre.  I would probably not visit again given the other options for Mexican food in the Olathe area.

Jenni's Humble Opinion

Service: Our server was very kind and attentive.  She appeared as though she enjoyed her job.  I'm not sure how many tables she had around us as I didn't see her go to many.  As soon as we sat down at the table she came to us and assumed we were getting margaritas.  We were, but, still that was a little strange.  Chips and Salsa appeared on our table the moment we sat down.

Atmosphere:  Typical 'Mexican Restaurant' flair.  Seemed a little cramped though, could use more space or less tables.  The bar area had some tv's on the walls. 

Cleanliness:  Ya'll know I'm such a 'germ-a-phob' so this is a BIG area for me.  I was really impressed with how clean it appeared and dirty tables didn't sit long as the bus boy man was on top of his game.  I did not see the bathroom, so I cannot comment on that.  (Jose Peppers still gets the GRAND vote for cleanliness as they still offer "Germ Juice" at the tables when you sit down!)

Food: The chips and salsa were very good.  Chips were warm and crispy; not stale.  Salsa was mild, and for you non-loving cilantro folks I couldn't taste any (which I LOVE so was a tad dissappointed).  We had a coupon for free espinaca and that was really good.  I had the cream cheese enchiladas which stated they had a jalapeno cream cheese sauce on top, but it mostly tasted like a cream cheese sauce with no kick.  I would have to say the food is just 'ok'. The rice was dry and so was the chicken filling in the enchiladas. 

Drink: I had a frozen house margarita which was 'ok'.  I didn't drink all of it as it tasted a bit soapy but figured it was a different mix they use?  And when at the 1/2 way mark I looked in the margarita and there were shiny reflective bubbles.  What margarita ever had bubbles so I figured it WAS soapy.  :( 

Price: I don't think I'd pay $10 to eat the same dish again. And with the food just being mediocre I would just get the chips and salsa (and espinaca) with a beer. 

Overall: The Salty Iguana is not somewhere I would go for eats.  But would be a possiblity to go for beers with friends, or even to watch a game on a tv in the bar area.  As for dinner I'll stick with my tried and true Mexican fiesta at Jose Peppers.



If you have an idea for a review please email us at indiancreekmops@gmail.com.  We would love your input!

No comments:

Post a Comment