Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Featured Article: Thankful

Thankful 
by Carrie M.

As we are quickly approaching Thanksgiving, I find myself thinking about

everything I am thankful for in my life. Of course there all the obvious things such as

my kids, my parents, my home, my family. But I have recently learned to be thankful for

so much more in my life.


God has taught me to be thankful for everything from the good, bad, ugly and

gorgeous! It has not only helped my attitude and outlook on life, but I am a much better

mother. Don’t get me wrong, there are many times each day when I get frustrated but

when I stop and think about the positive things in this moment, I feel a sense of peace.

Our children test us daily in our job as Mom, not to mention all of the other

pressures that go under our job description. When I first became a stay at home mom

the pressures of role pushed me into a very dark place where the happy moments were

few and far between. It seemed like the only thing I was thankful for was making it

through the day. Today is a very different story. God has taught me to take a deep

breath and be thankful for the positives in all situations. Of course I still have rough

days but now I can see light in the darkness.


A few nights ago I was awaken by the cries of my two year old in his room. My

initial thought was “Ugh, I am so tired. What is wrong with him and how can I fix it

immediately.” I stumbled down the hall, opened his door and he said in a whimpering

voice “Mommy, I need you.” My annoyance quickly turned to compassion as I walked

over, kneeled down next to his bed and started rubbing his back. I looked at his sweet

face and immediately thanked God for waking me up for this moment. Because even

though I am exhausted, I was so grateful to be able to comfort my sweet boy and I knew

that these moments were not going to happen forever. Soon he won’t need me to

cuddle him but I am thankful that I have the memory of this time when he does.

The next time you are feeling annoyed, anxious, frustrated or all of the above,

take a deep breath and close your eyes and look to God for guidance. He will show you

the positives in the situation. Thank Him for the precious gift to be able to stay at home

with your children and watch them grow. Thank Him for their health. Thank Him for

their smiles, cuddles, innocence and love. Thank Him for you and giving you this

opportunity to make amazing people and priceless memories.


Originally published in the November 2013 Indian Creek MOPS newsletter.

No comments:

Post a Comment