Saturday, July 7, 2012

Featured Article: You are a Treasure

Featured Article: You Are A Treasure by Sarah L.

I feel like I have come a long way from a previous life where my clothes were in style, I wore jewelry and makeup and people listened to what I had to say and I was recognized for my accomplishments.  Although I would never complain about being a mom, sometimes it would be nice for someone to notice what I do and feel important.  My life consists of folding the same laundry, cleaning up the same messes, repeating the same phrases, and cooking the same meals.


My working mom friend and mother of two asked me.  “Don’t you wish you felt like you were doing something worthwhile and not just being a maid?”  My first reaction was defensive - She clearly doesn’t know the duties of a stay at home mom and of course I am doing something worthwhile.  I am raising my own kids and teaching them what I want them to learn and that I love them.  I have given up a lot for them and rarely look back but later, I wondered why it bugged me so much that she said that.  My usual response would be to speak my mind, yes, but not let her words continue to bug me because I know in my heart and soul that this is where God has led me and my husband to be. I know I have made the right choice for my family.  So, why was I letting her words haunt me?  Because honestly that is how I really feel sometimes and maybe she hit a nerve.  I continued to think about it and came to a few conclusions.


God sees everything that I am doing from balling up the socks to scrubbing the floor to picking up the same toy hour after hour. Matthew 103:30 says “even the very hairs on my head are all numbered and Isaiah 40:26 says that he knows each star by name.  Surely he sees me and knows every thing that I do.  I then realized that He also sees how I rock the kids when they are scared at night.  How I get up and tuck them back in there beds after a bad dream.  How I encourage them when their feelings are hurt.  How I wipe their noses and take care of them when they are sick.  He knows every errand I run and every chore I do.  He knows what I have given up and how tired I am and what I am really thinking and feeling.  This is because He knows what it is like for his children to ignore him and take him for granted and forget to say thank you.  I know I treat him this way all the time.


In my struggle to sort through some of this I came across some scriptures that helped me.


Colossians 3:23-24 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving.


1 Timothy 3:13 Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus.


Hebrews 6:10-12 God is not unjust, he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. ….We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.


1 Peter 5:2-4 Be shepherd of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them, not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve, not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief shepherd appears you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.


God sees the work we do and he will reward us with an inheritance we will receive in heaven.  That is far greater than any thanks I will receive on this earth and encourages me to continue to pick up the same toys and wash the same laundry week by week and encourage my kids as God encourages me every day and do it with a joyful heart because I am doing something worthwhile.

 
Isaiah 40:11 He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his hear; he gently leads those who have young.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 

2 Corinthians 4:8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed, perplexed but not in despair, persecuted but not abandoned, struck down but not destroyed. 

2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurable more than we ask or imagine according to his power that is at work within us

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4:31-32 Get rid of bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

1 Timothy 3:11 the women are to be worthy of respect, not malicious talkers but temperate and trustworthy in everything.

Hebrews 6:10-12 god is not unjust, he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.  We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.  WE do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised.

1 Peter 5:2-4 Be shepherd of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them, not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve, not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.  And when the Chief shepherd appears you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Philippians 3:13-14 Forget what is behind and strain towards what is ahead.  I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which god has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus

Psalm 149:4 For the Lord takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment